This is a blog to inform dog owners about mushroom toxicity. On August 17th 2010, I lost my sweet little Bernese Mountain Dog puppy, Donato, to a Death Cap Mushroom. I still have moments of disbelief and will forever ask the unanswerable question, "Why?"
Since that day, it has become Donato’s legacy and my mission to spread a warning about the danger of mushroom toxicity
I was just about to go to class tonight when I got a very sad email about Otto, a 6 month old German Wire Haired Pointer. He lived in Nipomo, California which is in San Luis Obispo County. Otto loved to go to Avila Beach and to the Eagle Field Drags. But basically, Otto loved to go anywhere his owner went...and they went everywhere together. Otto was a happy, active, people loving puppy dog.
Father's Day - two weeks before Otto died
My heart goes out to his owner. He rushed Otto to the vets not knowing what made him so sick, but the vet suspected it was mushroom poisoning. They tried to save him but Otto didn't make it. Afterwards, Otto's owner searched and found the mushrooms that killed him. It was a dried up DeathCap.
I've been warning people since I lost Donato, telling everyone that in California, Death Caps are associated with Coast Live Oak trees, in Oregon with Chestnut or Filbert trees and on the East Coast with Pines. Many watch for mushroom during the rainy season...but we need to watch all year. If you have irrigated gardens or heavy fog, mushrooms can come up during the hot dog days of summer....and then there's the dried up mushrooms. Unfortunately, the amatoxins are still there and will still kill.
Please pass the word...tell your friends to be careful. Print out the flyer on this website and post it in local pet shops. Though we're in the middle of a drought...the mushrooms are still coming up. There have been too many dogs lost this last month. Please, protect our furry friends.
Bag them and Throw them out...
And DON'T let your dog see you digging them up,
for it will only peak his interests.
IT IS MY HOPE
THAT LITTLE DONATO, OTTO , COSBY, BELLA & TRUFFLES,
WILL CARRY THIS MESSAGE
AROUND THE WORLD
AND KEEP ALL OF OUR PUPS AND DOGS SAFE!
REMEMBER: If you suspect your dog has eaten a DeathCap Mushroom